September 30 , A Long Island / New York City excursion.

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) birded the Fire Island Hawkwatch this morning on
SE winds, the wrong kind. The only raptors who don't mind this are falcons.
And, we saw a few Merlin and Peregrines. Of note a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, but
virtually no land birds.

At Jones Beach Marina we were met by Sam Jannazzo. The bar had a resting
MARBLED GODWIT and a CASPIAN TERN along with  the usual hoard of AMERICAN
OYSTERCATCHERS, DUNLIN, SANDERLING, RUDDY TURNSTONE, RED KNOT and BLACK-BELLIED
PLOVER. There were 4 SURF SCOTERS in the water to the left of the island.

Cathy Drake called from Central Park while we were admiring the tern. We drove
straight into the city from Jones  Beach, immediately found a parking spot, as
someone pulled out (on 75th off Fifth Ave--I though this only happens in movie
scripts). A police officer directed us to the 72nd street entrance, the only
one not sealed off for the concert tonight. (As described in a post to
ebirdsnyc, in the Ramble, near the SW corner of Mugger's Woods and just S of
the Humming Tombstone)  A short walk brought us to the BARRED OWL.  This is the
first downstate.sighting for all of us.

Sy