Jones Beach. 1 November

Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo, and I (Sy Schiff) arrived at the Coast Guard Station
about 8:30. There was a continual movement of shorebirds on to and away from
the bar while we were there. A maximum estimate at one time would be 5-600 in
total. Of note MARBLED GODWIT and ~200 RED KNOT. The numbers of Knot were a
pleasant surprise. The hedge row had only a few sparrows, but a lingering
INDIGO BUNTING feeding with them.

We walked the median and found 4 species of raptors, SHARP-SHINNED, COOPER'S
HAWK, MERLIN and PEREGRINE FALCON. All appeared to be hanging out. Not much to
feed on unless everything was keeping a very low profile. We later added a
NORTHERN HARRIER at Zachs Bay.
Joe and I went over to Field #6, There was a 1st year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
on the parking lot when we arrived, but not there when we returned from Zachs
Bay where we again saw about a dozen Red Knot.

The wintering shorebird group has arrived. On the beach in front of the East
Bath House were 2,500 DUNLIN stretched out just above the high tide line. To
the east were another 100+ of mixed shorebirds with BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, 2
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (getting late), SANDERLING and more RED KNOT. Over the
ocean were Some 300 NORTHERN GANNET, many diving into the water and putting on
a great show..

Sy