On the New York Botanical Garden bird walk today we witnessed a red tailed hawk
chasing an immature great horned owl.  It was quite a scene for ears and eyes
as the hawk kept screeching at the top of its lungs pursuing the owl through
the forest. Finally the owl flew into a conifer and the hawk perched atop a
very tall tree and practically pounded its chest in victory- screaming again
for everyone to hear.  When it finally flew off the owl quietly flew back to
it's usual roosting area. This is the second time we witnessed red tailed hawks
dominating great horned owls. Quite a show!
Also spotted: hermit thrush, white throated sparrow, chickadee, tufted
titmouse, American crow, American robin, red bellied woodpecker, mallards, and
mature great horned owl.

At Pelham Bay Park in the Lagoon near Orchard Beach on the mud flats, a SNOWY
OWL!  It was on the Bartow Pell side closer to the Hutchinson River Parkway
entrance. Also at the park, more than 100 Brants in the Eastchester Bay area.

Good birding,
Debbie Becker