Today, at ~ 1145, I saw the Sedge Wren, at the same location where it was found
on 12/31/11 by Steve Biasetti & Aaron Virgin, while taking part in Mary Laura
Lamont's Orient CBC. As per Steve's instructions, take Main Rd. through the
Village of Orient , finding Orient State Park on the s/s just before reaching
the Orient/New London Ferry.Take the park access road 3/10's of a mile (from
the closed toll booth) to a dirt turn around on the bay side- the marsh you
will access is directly opposite this turn around. I have marked the trail I
used to get into the marsh with a "cairn", made up of a broken snow fence slat,
a flat rock, and 2 bricks mortared together, and resembling the capital letter
"L" (I think Roy Latham would have gotten a kick out of that).
For the sake of directions, let's assume the access road, at this point, is
running east to west. You will be entering the marsh via the s/s., finding a
line of phragmites on the w/s, another line of phrags on the n/s,across the
narrow water canal, and again on the e/s of the marsh. I started up the w/s and
soon flushed a Marsh Wren. I continued on to the canal, and then headed east. I
flushed the Sedge Wren (out of the grass, over the water, and into the n/s
phrags) while walking along the water's edge, about half way between the w/s
phrags and another, smaller n/s water channel, being fed by the a-fore
mentioned canal. I did not see either of the wrens again, nor did they
vocalize- my pishing, evidently, should have been accompanied by a tape! During
the time I was there, I did walk the whole marsh (which is not very big)
kicking up 2 sparrows, which went unidentified.
I then decided to bypass the work that awaited me at home, and instead, try for
the Snowy Owl that was reported a number of times this week, from the back-side
of the 2nd island e/o the Ponquogue Bridge, in Shinnicock Bay, Hampton Bays.
Heading down Route 24, I stopped at Evelyn Voulgorelis' (a fellow ELIAS member)
and invited her along. The bird was waiting for us, as hoped, making for a real
happy day!
Cheers, Bob