Croton RR Station, Croton Pt. Park and Shawangunk Grasslands 1 Feb
Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) went to the Croton RR station looking for eagles.
No luck. We then went over to Croton Pt. Park and managed to find a
GOLDEN-CROWN KINGLET. Returning to the RR station, we found off in the distance
(via scope), a kettle consisting of 2 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 2 TURKEY VULTURES and
an imm. BALD EAGLE.

Speaking to local people, they informed us that there are virtually no eagles
this year, a phenomenon probably due to the warm weather and almost complete
lack of ice in the river. However, we were advised that eagles roost at Georges
Island (about 10 miles north) coming in toward dusk. We stopped by, but it was
too early in the day.

Our prime destination was the Shawangunk Grasslands, parking at the Municipal
park (the lower gazebo) rather than the Federal Refuge parking lot on the other
side. Arriving before dusk, by dark we had been treated to 1 RED-TAILED HAWK, 2
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, 11 SHORT-EARED OWLS and 15 NORTHERN HARRIERS plus 6
White-tailed Deer.

Sy