To jump into the fray here:  I have personally witnessed more than just two
people harassing snowy owls, in fact, I have observed, on several occasions, up
to four or five photographers at a time deliberately flushing the bird,
approaching it too closely, causing the bird to have to continually fly down
the beach, paparazzi in tow.  I have also had reports from friends who have
witnessed this same behavior as recently as a week or so ago.

In another example, just yesterday I was observing a screech owl near my
house.  Two photographers came over and started snapping away.  I asked them to
please be respectful of the bird, keep their distance and not disturb it.  I
then pretended to walk into the woods for a hike as they said they were
leaving.  As I entered the woods, I watched them go back to the owl, and heard
their car horn go off several times.  I cannot confirm, but it seemed as though
they were trying to prompt the owl into opening its eyes.  To their credit they
did not approach closely, or stay long and did leave after 1/2 an hour.

It is not just two guys, unfortunately there seems to be a growing rash of
unethical behavior occurring, with boundaries being crossed that should not
be.  I agree with Seth, owls should not be listed on the listserv.  Word of
mouth has worked wonderfully in the past, in fact, I only joined the listserv a
year or so ago and managed to hear about any and all owls that were being
seen.

Stella Miller
President
Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon

"Conservation is sometimes perceived as stopping everything cold, as holding
whooping cranes in higher esteem than people. It is up to science to spread the
understanding that the choice is not between wild places or people, it is
between a rich or an impoverished existence for Man." Thomas Lovejoy

--- On