The buying of photographic equipment for picture taking or the buying of
optics for birding does not include a code of ethics or an insertable moral
compass for the buyer.

Equipment does not make a   great photographer or binoculars make an
excellent birder.  I have seen motivation lead to inexcusable behavior in
both.a birder who climbed a tree next to a boreal owl in order to get "a
better look" and   a photographer  who entered private property to a "better
picture" of the Great Grey Owl.  In each instance there were birders and
photographers that stayed on the road or a reasonable distance.

In my opinion there is an increase in rudeness and irresponsibility in many
people of all ages.  If you take the opportunity to point out their negative
behavior or attitude, many get incensed and  attack back as if you are the
wrong doer.

I do not believe certain birds like owls should be posted or certain
rarities unless they are in a much protected place like the Williamson's
Sapsucker upstate.  The presence of   Owls   seem to bring out the worst in
some people. Yes, it restricts the list serve and the possibility for some
to see certain birds, but isn't it our moral responsibility to protect the
welfare of the birds as there are many indications of a decline in total
numbers as well as potential extinction of some in certain areas of the
world such as the red knot. We can not control others, but we can control
what we do on behalf of the birds.

Diana Teta

Long Island, NY