Bravo, Isaac! Phil Jeffrey threw me off ebirds for my heretical piece earlier
today. I'm happy to hear another birder criticize behavior that really needs to
be addressed. Not to be misunderstood, if hobbyists want to spend insane sums
of money, absolutely. I endorse capitalism, these sales are great for our
economy. But I agree with you, Isaac, let's not be high and mighty and condemn
others in the pursuit of their hobbies. It's extremely hypocritical to bemoan
the waste of gasoline used by the 4X4s, or snow mobile enthusiasts, or ATV's. I
still would like to see some numbers on how much gasoline and aircraft fuel is
burned up by birding enthusiasts. Again, this is a personal choice, and people
are free to make it. But it's like what Edward Abbey said, that there is a
certain group who are loving nature to death. The crowds of birders and
photographers that descend on rarities made me just stop going altogether. It
ruins the experience of being outdoors, for me at least.

I have seen so much bad, and yes, crazy, behavior in the field that I made some
personal decisions concerning my birding habits. And they are my decisions.
Others can make up their own minds. I remember one Fall many years ago at Cape
May. There must have been more than twenty birders crammed onto a platform that
really only had room for about five. We were were watching a Common Snipe at
fairly close range. The bird was clearly terrified. It was backing up against
the reeds, but they were too dense for it to get through. It couldn't fly
forward because it was ringed by birders, who by the way, were loud and shoving
at one another. A short, very rude woman demanded to use my scope, to 'get her
good look' at this terrified animal. I wasn't able to shorten my scope for her
because of the crowd, so she spent the next five minutes abusing me about not
being considerate of short people. A total stranger mind you, complaining about
my choice, of my personal equipment. I shouldered my scope and pushed through
the crowd and left in disgust. Unfortunately, scenes like this were not
uncommon throughout my fifteen years of birding.

So, last thoughts before I make it two for two and Chris knocks me off this
list also. People, do a reality check. Birding and bird photography are not our
vocations. We are not, mostly, naturalists or scientists. I'm always amused how
quickly people I've known go from buying their first digital camera to billing
themselves as 'wildlife photographers' on their homemade websites. I really
believe the internet has made it too easy for a lot of us to immerse ourselves
in this 'outdoor' fantasy world we create. When we observe birds it's exactly
the uncertainty principle. Our mere looking at a bird alters its behavior.
These creatures are far more aware of us than we are of them. We kid ourselves
into thinking we see them acting naturally.

Thanks for posting, Isaac. It was a very good read! And please people, stop
obsessing about the owls. It's weird already. This is New York City, if it gets
to be to much for them they can always leave.

To paraphrase George Thouroughgood, "I bird alone!"

Michael Zablocky