Seriously?  Get a grip people.  Someone already mentioned how owls bring out
the worst in people, and I agree.  The topic always sets off a flurry of
sanctimonious posts from people trying to tell everyone else what to do.

Mention was already made of joggers and dog walkers flushing the owls in the
same place.  I'd rather have a herd of photographers present than one dog
running off leash or a family of picnickers with a little kid who likes to
chase gulls.

It's not like these owls are coming to some pristine wilderness, they're coming
where people live and there is nothing to be done about that.  Walking in a
closed area or trespassing?  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  But being the only person
avoiding approaching an owl in a public space is kind of silly.

Bottom line - have respect, for the birds, for the law, and for other people
who might have different desires than you.

And let me suggest that getting more public to see Snowy Owls this winter
(preferably in a spotting scope of a friendly birder) is a huge potential
educational opportunity.  Global warming?  Why should I care?  Oh, you mean
those owls might be hurt?  Boom, personal connection.  Just a thought.

Kevin

Kevin J. McGowan
Ithaca, NY
k...@cornell.edu