Like John Gluth, I had a mini fly-in of new birds visible from my yard in the
Argyle Park section of Babylon this morning. In my front yard sycamore and my
neighbor's oak tree at 7:30am, I observed yellow warbler (2), black-and-white
warbler (2), blue-headed vireo, warbling vireo, redstart, and the highlight
(for my yard list anyway) was a male bay-breasted warbler, not singing but well
seen though staying near the tree tops. Also arriving yesterday and singing
today was a male Baltimore Oriole that has nested in my yard for last several
years. Last years nesting was unsuccessful as a crow raided the nest after eggs
hatched.

A jog without binocs thru Southard's Pond area at 8:30am yielded at least
double the yellow warblers there were on monday, from 4 singing up to at least
8 now. Catbirds were in droves and seemed to have increased tenfold since
Monday.  Also heard a great-crested flycatcher and an early eastern wood-pewee.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped at Jones Beach WE at 5pm to see if any of the
fallout reported by Ken Feustel further down the beach was still apparent.
Migrants songbirds were scarce, though a quick check of the sand bar by the CG
station revealed a dozen red knots, as well as a few dozen dunlin, a dozen or
so short-billed dows, 1 semipalmated plover and several dozen black-bellied
plovers in various stage of molt from non-breeding to breeding and all phases
in-between. No peeps. 3 Forster's terns were present.

The prothonotary was a no show for me at noon at Bryant Park yesterday,
possibly staying out of sight due to the increased noise and activity level -
even for this busy place - of the occupy wall street rallies. Yellow,
black-and-white, ovenbird and palm were seen, along with a blue-headed vireo,
wood thrush (heard over the beating drums) and a few hermits. There were two
tree sparrows on the lawn for a bit. Calling white throated sparrows and
towhees were present.

Finally, some monk parakeets have apparenty been nesting in Babylon Village for
some time now, behind the now-closed Talbots store on 27A. I saw a total of 3
parakeets there over the weekend.

Thanks,
Tim Dunn
Babylon NY