This evening's NYC Audubon Bryant Park Bird Walk was quite productive. We had a
large group who were treated almost immediately to the sight of a male Hooded
Warbler flitting about in the plane trees at the NW corner of the park.

Soon after, we encountered the Prothonotary, and witnessed the amazing sight of
him catching a Red Admiral butterfly (they are so abundant this year, they must
be a popular warbler snack). He couldn't fly with it, and fluttered down to the
ground, where he bashed it into submission and swallowed it with apparent gusto.

There were also numerous B&W Warblers (4 minimum), Ovenbirds (ten or more), a
female American Redstart, a Common Yellowthroat, a Wood Thrush, lingering Swamp
& White-throated Sparrows, two Great-crested Flycatchers, and a small
flycatcher I didn't see well enough to ID, but I believe was a Least.

Busy evening in Bryant Park and a great birding day! I encountered a gentleman
in the park who had seen 22 species of warbler around the city today, and was
looking for the Hooded to make 23. Hope he succeeded...

Cheers,

Gabriel Willow
NYC Audubon