I noticed the appearance in that post of the left bird's legs, as well. I believe it is a photographic artifact, given the light conditions and the apparent crop and lightening of the image.

This is the only photo I've posted of the birds, and their legs look pretty normal to me. http://www.ardithbondi.com/slideshow55.html#20

Ardith