 From: Timothy Dunn <timd...@optonline.net>
To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:31 AM
Subject: [nysbirds-l] New Migrants in Babylon NY this AM

I was in my driveway and front yard this morning in the Argyle Park section of
Babylon, apparently seeing a large influx of new overnight migrants. Between
7:40am and 8:30am, I observed the following:

80 Dark-eyed Juncos
25 White-throated Sparrows
8 Chipping Sparrows
3 Song Sparrows
4 Hermit Thrushes
1 Gray-cheeked Thrush
10-12 Yellow-rumped Warblers
4 Golden-crowned Kinglets (more heard)
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
1-2 Red-breasted Nuthatches (heard only)
1 Brown-headed Cowbird
1 Rusty Blackbird (a first for my yard list and seeming somewhat out of place
by itself, hanging near, but not with, local starlings)
1-2 Red-winged Blackbirds (heard only)
1 Common Grackle
1 Northern Flicker (flyover)

Add in my regular locals:
1 Gray Catbird
4 Am. Robins
2 N. Cardinals
1 Blue Jay
1 N. Mockingbird
2 House Finches
3 Mourning Doves
1
 Black-capped Chickadee (heard only)
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Mallard (flyover)
2 Herring Gulls (flyover)

And my usual resident invasives:
2 Rock Pigeons
15 E. Starlings
8 House Sparrows

32 Species for the morning without having to go more than 40 feet from my front
door.  My feeders are not even up yet, but there is a 100'x300' grassy/weedy
field next door that attracted the juncos, chippers, white-throateds and
blackbirds.

No siskins or goldfinches.

Tim Dunn
Babylon NY