My wife Samantha and I missed the Virginia's Warbler by minutes today and on
the 20th, followed by hours of walking around and waiting. The consolation
prize today for all of us birders at Alley Pond Park was a NORTHERN SAW-WHET
OWL that the alarmed songbirds found for us. It was roosting at eye level in a
bunch of yellow leaves just off the path on the south side of the kettle, a bit
to the east of where the warbler has often been seen.

After three hours at Alley Pond Park this morning we went to Jones Beach West
End where between 12 and 1 we had long, close looks at 62 RED CROSSBILLS (about
half males, half females) and a single female WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL with them.
They were in the median across from the west end of the West End 2 parking lot.
I recorded their vocalizations for the person who requested that.

Dan Scheiman
Little Rock, AR
(formerly East Meadow, NY)