1/19/13 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

This morning, a group of 12 people, 10 from Saw Mill River Audubon and 2
from the Audubon Society of the Capital Region, visited our feeders for an
hour (trip organized by Christine McCluskey).  They planned to arrive
between 8 and 8:30 a.m.  I went outside a few minutes after 8 and the
redpoll flocks were swirling around over our lawn (~200).  They immediately
settled into the trees surrounding our house and I had non-stop scope views
of a brilliant female Hoary Redpoll.  The birds only visited the feeders
once before the visitors arrived, and spent most of the time preening up in
the trees.  The temps are unusually warm today (upper 20s at dawn).  I had
my scope trained on the female Hoary Redpoll as all the cars drove up our
driveway at 8:30 - I was sure it would spook the flock and they would miss
seeing the birds.  As it turns out, the female Hoary Redpoll never moved and
everyone had views of the bird through my scope!  The bird even turned
several times, allowing views of its brilliant white rump!  It can be very
difficult to have long views of a Hoary Redpoll in a scope because redpolls
are often "flighty" going between trees or the feeders.  This is by far the
longest view I've had of this species in one spot (~15 minutes)!  I believe
I now have 3 Hoary Redpolls visiting - 2 females and 1 male.  Sometimes you
can lose redpoll flocks in warm-ups, but the numbers visiting our feeders
actually increased in the warm-up last weekend.  Hopefully, that will be the
case this (warm) weekend too.

1/18/13 St. Lawrence Co. locations (mid-morning to mid-afternoon)

I combined a bit of birding with a grocery trip to St. Lawrence Co.
yesterday.  (One of the few disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere
is 3 hour round trips to a major grocery store!).  Here are a few of the
species found:

Common Goldeneye - Hawkins Point in Massena

Common Merganser - Hawkins Point in Massena

Ruffed Grouse - in a tree on Robinson Bay Rd. in Massena

Bald Eagle - adult flying over the small airport in Potsdam

Great Black-backed Gull - many at Hawkins Point in Massena (sitting up on
the Moses-Saunders Dam)

Northern Shrike - adult along the short drive into Hawkins Point (off
Robinson Bay Rd.)

Common Raven - 2 on the bridge to Barnhart Island in Massena (I believe the
same bridge where Mary Curtis has been observing a pair of Peregrine
Falcons).  One of the ravens dropped a stick as I sat to watch what it was
up to.  Then, it flew to the peak of the bridge (second one in) and hopped
up a flight of stairs, then hovered (for a long time) under a metal beam -
with its bill inserted into a cache location!  It finally pulled its bill
out and had a piece of meat!  Raven behavior is endlessly fascinating to me!

Horned Lark - 11 on Planty Rd. in Madrid

Northern Mockingbird - 1!  (I assume this is the same bird that Mary Curtis
recently posted.)  This is only the second N. Mockingbird I have observed in
St. Lawrence Co.  The bird was on the short drive into Hawkins Point in
shrubby vegetation along a side dirt road (that someone has been driving
even in the snow).  The only reason I spotted the bird was that it flew
across that side dirt road - and then sat perfectly still in bitter cold
temps.  It was also interesting to me that this bird was about 200 feet from
where I had been watching the N. Shrike hunting a half hour earlier!

American Tree Sparrow

Pine Grosbeak - 11 (all in Massena); 3 on Horton Rd. in a crab apple tree
near the intersection with Rt. 131, 3 at the other end of Horton Rd. in
buckthorn vegetation (I could hear more vocalizing, but could only see 3),
and 5 on Rt. 42 between Horton and Dennison Rds.

Common Redpoll - a large flock at feeders located at the end of Kinnie Rd.
in Massena; The birds were snow burrowing on roof snow near the feeders!

Amer. Goldfinch - with the same redpoll flock above

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY