A quick review of the link provided by Luke Ormand reflects that nestling
falcons can only be taken between May 1 and July 15, first year birds can only
be taken between September 1 and January 25, and adult birds may not be taken
at all and must be released upon capture.

Presuming the law considers any bird older than a first year bird to be an
adult, there seems to be NO circumstance under which any falconer should be
poking around at Gilgo Beach for the purpose of pursuing that Gyrfalcon, (the
only exception I can imagine would be if it is an escapee of theirs that they
are trying to recover).

Therefore, it seems that any such person attempting to pursue or otherwise
involve themselves with the Gilgo Gyr would be engaged in criminal (and
nefarious, which usually means wicked, villainous or unlawful) activity, unless
they are a state DEC worker subject to the exceptions at the end of the
section. Additionally, I'm of the impression that a falconer violating these
provisions would also be breaking federal law, including the Migratory Bird
Treaty Act.

Thanks,
Tim Dunn
Babylon NY