I went to East Hampton today about 5 PM to see the Blue Winged Teals,
reported today,and was not disappointed. Surprised is a better word. When I got

there there was a Great Blue Heron, standing in water in what appeared to
be a construction site, just north of the Nature Conservancy Offices on RTe
114.  This was a excavation with sand pits, for what appears to be a new
building  site. There were several water ponds at the bottom apparently from
the rain  we have had (Sandy). I saw ducks in the water, and when I got closer
(scared the  Great Blue) I found they were indeed  the Blue Winged Teals!
They were  feeding constantly, with their heads down,and  I wonder what they
could  find to eat  in a construction sand pit! They stayed after I left,
and  I got good pictures, but I consider these fairly rare on Long Island, and
wonder  why they were in a rain pool in a sand pit! Eating what? If you are
near it  is worth a look!

Andy Murphy

In a message dated 3/28/2013 2:48:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,