This note is actually about "other stuff" again--specifically spring movements
of Barn and other swallows on Long Island. Since Steve Walter and I last
digressed to this topic a few weeks ago, I've noticed very few reports
concerning visible migration of landbirds, two exceptions being reports from
Michael McBrien and Angus Wilson of small numbers of Barn Swallows moving west
to east at Patchogue and Amagansett.

On this past Sunday, 12 May, Patricia Lindsay and I observed a moderately paced
but apparently long-sustained Barn Swallow flight. The tempo and mode of the
flight was similar at Mecox Bay in the morning (when the morning was still gray
and greasy) and at Shinnecock Inlet in the afternoon (after the front had
cleared and the westerly wind had whipped up): in both cases, birds were moving
determinedly from east to west, as seems to be the case for most moderate to
large spring movements on the outer coast of Long Island. It seems very likely
that Barn Swallows were moving at a rate of about one bird per two minutes over
a period of more than eight hours.

We only stayed at Mecox for 20 minutes (ending 8:00 am) during which we tallied
8 migrating Barn Swallows. Their behavior was quite striking, and any lingering
doubts that they might have been local residents cycling around in some fashion
were further allayed by the presence among them of a Cliff Swallow moving
westward in just the same fashion. (Some readers of this list will recall the
Cliff Swallow that Rich Guthrie called out on the beach at Mecox on 29 May
2004, because it was arguably the fourth most memorable bird there during a
very memorable Memorial Day weekend--and because a lot of people were standing
with him on the beach, contemplating the aftermath of Ken and Sue Fuestel's
Bar-tailed Godwit. Sadly, my notes do not record for certain which way that
swallow was moving (though I think it was east to west), nor how many Barn
Swallows we saw.

Pat and I were at Shinnecock Inlet 1:35-3:50 on Sunday, during which we counted
61 Barn Swallows crossing the Inlet and continuing westward, again with one
Cliff Swallow among them. (We undoubtedly missed many because  we witnessed a
shipwreck and spent a lot of time speaking with the Coast Guard and the police.)

I offer these observations because there is obviously still a lot for us to
learn about even our most common species. For instance, are Barn Swallow
movements on the barrier beach possibly different from those on the "mainland"
shores of LI's bays (as at Patchogue), or on the easternmost "mainland" of the
island (as at Amagansett)?

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore