6/10/13 Roosevelt Truck Trail (Minerva in Essex Co.)

I took a late day hike on the beginning of the Roosevelt Truck Trail and
found a male Black-backed Woodpecker, a pair of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
carrying food, a vocal Boreal Chickadee, a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and a
Swainson’s Thrush among other expected boreal habitat species.  A
Broad-winged Hawk vocalized near the railroad bed (1/3 of a mile from the
Roosevelt Truck Trail).

6/7/13 to 6/9/13 9th Annual Adirondack Birding Festival

Blog post at:

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/boreal-birds/9th-annual-adirondack
-birding-festival

6/6/13 Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

Bill Labes and I took a walk on the N-P Trail and found a vocal Black-backed
Woodpecker (in the area where I observed mating in early May).  We found
many warblers and beautiful wildflowers including Pink Lady’s Slippers
(photo at: http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian ).

6/5/13 Dawn Tour up Whiteface Mountain (Essex Co.)

Blog post at:

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/boreal-birds/a-recent-dawn-tour-up
-whiteface-mountain

5/31/13 Lake Pleasant (south of Indian Lake in Hamilton Co.)

I found several Philadelphia Vireos in an area where I used to tally one
each year during my old BBS route.  The area is about ½ mile north of the
bridge over the Indian Lake – Lewey Lake intersection to 2 miles north of
this location.  I had beautiful, long scope views of a bird on the west side
of Route 30 before it flew to the east side along Indian Lake.  The birds
were found in second growth aspens and beech trees.  I found an Olive-sided
Flycatcher on the Perkins Clearing Road at a wetland over 6.5 miles in (past
Sled Harbor).

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY