Thank you to Andrew for posting the updated information about the Elegant Tern.

My dad and I birded the Cupsogue flats on a rising tide this afternoon.  Just as we were about to leave around 5:45, we scanned the tern flock once more and realized that the Elegant Tern had appeared amidst the flock.  Fortunately, we were able to get out word to the birders that were staking out the sandbar at Tiana Beach, and some of them were able get to the flats at Cupsogue in time to see the Elegant.  As the tide continued to rise, the Elegant flew west towards Moriches Inlet, continuing out of sight.  Later in the evening, when we checked the Tiana Beach bar, the Elegant was not present.

As Andrew noted, it would be optimal for birders planning to search for the bird in coming days to stay in contact when in the field.  The Cupsogue flats and the sandbar at Tiana Beach are both areas that should be covered, but gull/tern roosts along the outer beach as well as the shorelines of the bay islands at low tide are also good areas to check.  Any loafing tern flocks in these areas or elsewhere along Dune Road should be closely studied.  The Elegant Tern is intermediate in size between Royal and Common Terns.  However, from my observations at Tiana on July 6th, the Elegant seems to spend some time resting on its belly, at which point it may not stand out above the Common Terns.  Photos can be seen at:  https://picasaweb.google.com/117391989476777248424/NewYorkBirds2013

In response to questions posed earlier today, the Red-necked Stint was not present at Cupsogue today although the hybrid Calidrid does continue.  A 1st Summer Arctic Tern was seen in the tern flock along with three Black Terns and several Roseates.  Many other interesting birds have been present along Dune Road over the past days: a female-type Black Scoter was hanging around the bay at Tiana as picked out by Hugh McGuinness, a Yellow-crowned Night Heron has been present here the past two evenings in the marshes, and a Northern Bobwhite was also calling from the dunes near the parking lot at Tiana today.

Good luck to those trying for the Elegant.
Michael McBrien