On a relatively cool mid-afternoon walk to Turtle Cove and the edge alongside
the Orchard Beach parking lot, I was surprised to find more than a dozen
Killdeer. There were also more than a dozen Cedar Waxwings landing and feeding
on something very low on the glasswort in Turtle Cove. I assume they were
hawking insects, as there are no berries.

Killdeer 12
Cedar Waxwings 12+
Snowy Egret 11
Great Egrets 2
Black-crowned Night Heron 3
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Osprey (with fish in talons)
Marsh Wren (several popping up all along the marsh)
Red-winged Blackbirds 30+ (flocks of females flying all around the marsh)
Barn Swallow
Northern Flicker 2
Mourning Dove
European Starling 60+
American Robin 25+
Canada Goose 10
Herring Gull 8
Greater Black-backed Gull 2

Pelham Bay Park, Bronx
12:30 PM, approximately 75 degrees and breezy

Jack Rothman
www.cityislandbirds.com