Swallows moved in large numbers along the beach under this morning's brisk
northwest winds and were still doing so when I left around noon. Lots of
shorebirds were migrating as well, but I saw no evidence that nocturnal
migrants moved last night.

Because there were relatively few species involved, I was able to make a
careful count of the swallows passing Robert Moses SP, Suffolk, LI, from
7:10-11:10. I also estimated those passing from 11:10 to 12:10, as I made a
cursory (and unproductive) inspection of several migrant traps around RMSP.

The totals were as follows:

Purple Martin 74
Tree Swallow 848, plus ca. 100 during the last hour
Bank Swallow 43, plus at least 2 during the last hour
Barn Swallow 5651, plus ca. 500 during the last hour
Cliff Swallow 20

I also tallied 16 Chimney Swifts, 17 Eastern Kingbirds, 14 Semipalmated
Plovers, 12 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Solitary Sandpipers, 121 Least Sandpipers, 3
Pectoral Sandpipers, and 1 White-rumped Sandpiper, among other species.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore