Hi Claudia and all,

Red-headed Woodpecker is a scarce, local, and declining breeder throughout low-
and mid-elevation parts of NYS. In many areas it is also notably irregular from
year to year. It is a regular migrant along the outer coast, where it is more
frequent in fall than in spring. I believe it is currently listed as a Species
of Special Concern in NYS, but it probably merits designation as
State-Threatened as a breeder.

That said, there are a number of  very accessible and authoritative resources
relevant to queries such as yours, many produced by or in collaboration with
the New York State Ornithological Association (NYSOA). In particular, check out
"The Second Atlas of Breeding Birds in New York State"--

http://www.nybirds.org/ProjAtlas.htm

--and also "Bull's Birds of New York State"--

http://www.nybirds.org/Publications/BullsBirds.htm

--and the quarterly journal of record, The Kingbird--

http://nybirds.org/Publications/kingbird.htm

Every issue includes detailed regional reports describing notable events and
trends in the bird life of each of ten geographic regions of NYS (the Albany
area is NYSOA Region 8, where Will Yandik does a great job distilling masses of
information on bird occurrence each quarter).

Finally, for those interested in cutting edge, NYS-specific research on this
and other species, I recommend attending this year's New York Birders'
Conference and Annual Meeting of NYSOA, at Uniondale, Long Island, 1-3
November--

http://nybirdersconference.org/

Just this afternoon, I received a poster abstract titled, "Red-headed
Woodpecker Nest-site Selection and Reproductive Success at the Northern Limit
of Its Range" by researchers from West Virginia University and Fort Drum.

Come check it out!

Shai Mitra
Editor, The Kingbird