I led a walk in Central Park for NYC Audubon yesterday evening from 5-6:30. We
walked from Strawberry Fields down past the Lower Lobe to the Ramble. The most
sightings were actually right at Strawberry Fields, on the grassy area to the
right as you walk down the hill.

The highlight was a first-year Mourning Warbler hopping along in the grass,
along with a Common Yellowthroat for a good comparison.  There were also a
number of Northern Flickers feeding on the ground (presumably on ants/insects)
and on sumac berries, several Swainson's Thrushes (which incidentally I've been
seeing around for several weeks), a Black-throated Green Warbler, numerous
Magnolia Warblers (by far the most abundant warbler of the day), and several
Brown Thrashers.

Down along the Lower Lobe there were at least 5 R-t Hummingbirds and a female
R-b Grosbeak feeding among the jewelweed.

We spotted several White-throated Sparrows as well, they seem to be moving in
real numbers now, compared with the individual early outliers that were around
last week.

It's officially Fall!

Gabriel Willow
NYC Audubon