Hi All,
Had a productive 4 hours in the Turtle Cove section of Pelham Bay Park.
Highlights included 2-3 NELSON'S SPARROWS still in the same spot I've been
seeing them (marshy peninsula south of City Island Road). There was a VESPER
SPARROW foraging in the patch of bare dirt with scattered weeds inside the
southeast corner of the driving range fence. In the same area along the
northern woodchip path, an adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER continues. I briefly
heard the calls of an unseen COMMON RAVEN. As it was starting to get dark, a
calling WILSON'S SNIPE flew over me as I stood on the berm trail of Turtle
Cove. In the easternmost section of saltmarsh grass in Turtle Cove, I saw a
rail flush up twice above the Spartina, but both times were too brief and dark
for me to ID before the bird dropped back down. Emanating from the grass right
where this bird disappeared, I heard vocalizations I was unfamiliar with. You
can hear these squeaky calls in the video linked here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richsoutbirding/10567390115/ I think these
vocalizations match particularly well with these Virginia Rail calls:
http://xeno-canto.org/111114 see further notes in the ebird checklist linked
below. I have never heard a Virginia Rail in the field, so I welcome anyone's
input on this!
Good Birding,Richard Aracil