Ardith and all,

I can't claim any special knowledge here, but David Sibley mentions the
following in his description of snowy owl in his North American Birds field
guide:

"More active at night, hunting small rodents and birds. Individuals seen far to
the south of normal range are often starved and stressed for food, and thus
active in daylight. Healthy birds are mainly nocturnal, like other owls."

Thanks,
Tim Dunn
Babylon NY
Sent from my iPhone