I stopped at Sea Cliff about 1PM today to check for the previously reported
Black Guillemot at the intersection of Cliffway and the Blvd. I did not see the
Guillemot but instead a large grebe caught my eye. In my bins in back light I
was thinking it was a Red-necked Grebe. When I got my scope on it I realized
the bird was a WESTERN GREBE. I took a few poor digi-scoped pictures before the
bird took off and flew northwest towards Sands Point. I had distant scope views
of it across the bay but I lost track of the bird and couldn't relocate it. Sea
Cliff and the beach at Sands Point might both be worth checking for this bird
in the coming days.

Happy New Year to all!

Jeff Ritter
Little Neck, NY