This afternoon Bruce Nott and I joined together and did some roaming in the black dirt area near Pine Island and without any target area or birds we had a very pleasant variety.  On Indiana Road we had 5 Rough-legged Hawks, 4 Red-tails and three Harriers.   On Skinner Lane we ran into a few small flocks of Horned Lark and then a larger group in which we found Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs as well.  On Missionland it was a pleasant surprise to spot a SNOWY OWL sitting on top of a telephone pole at Carnation while at DeBuck's Sod Farm we had a screaming adult Peregrine Falcon make a mid-air snatch and then feed atop a telephone pole.  A fun afternoon with gifts found only in winter.

Good Birding,

Ken McDermott