Wednesday, 26 February, 2014 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

I looked for the Pine Warbler seen yesterday in the Ramble of Central
Park, at about the same time & with similar conditions (light snow
flurries ending, brisk but bright & sunny), but did not find it again
this mid-day.  And as I rather suspected might be, there had been a
sighting & report of a "drab" Pine Warbler, dating from Feb. 9, a bit
over 2 weeks prior, from Central Park & not that far from yesterday's
sighting - that by Angus Wilson, and brought to my attention by a
number of list-members and park regulars, as well as having this
confirmed from Angus himself (thanks!)  As I'd noted, the warbler was
seen actively feeding Tuesday, thus seems to have been in reasonable
health thru the chill & snows of this past month+.  (And, as many also
pointed out there have been a modest number of reports of Pine Warbler
this winter from [esp.] the Atlantic shore & plain, in NY as well as
various adjacent & nearby states.) The species is of course among the
more northerly-wintering of our warblers, indeed there are some who've
claimed it as a North American "endemic", although my understanding is
that there are scant records from Costa Rica, and there are resident
races or forms on Hispaniola & the Bahamas, as well as some reports
from Cuba & perhaps other Caribbean isles.

Other birds today were more standard for February & there was a sense
that small numbers of some spp. may have actually moved on, such as
American Robins, and perhaps Common Grackles.  The water-bodies of the
park including the reservoir remain at least 95+% frozen, with the
lingering ducks & other waterbirds mainly filling the small open water
areas available. At least 5 Wood Ducks were at the w. side of the
Lake, and 3 more at the reservoir's south side opening. Baltimore
Orioles (two, anyhow) continue as they have all late fall thru winter
at the feeders, in the Ramble (appearing irregularly in any given day).

Good birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan