In Western New York Cinnamon Teal is accidental.  About twenty years  ago
there was a report of about half a dozen at the Iroquois NWR, so I went to
see these extraordinarily rare life birds. Before I got there they were all
shot  by hunters.  At the time Art Clark requested one for the Buffalo
Science  Museum collection.  It could not be done as none of the hunters were
willing to donate a Cinnamon Teal. Why if birds are illegally shot are the
birds  the sole property of the hunter that shot them.  Why are the hunters not

fined. Why are they allowed to keep the bird.  If a hunter shoots a newly
discovered last Ivory-billed Woodpecker (thinking is was a Mallard Duck)
does  this mean he free sell this rare specimen for millions of dollars
because he made a stupid mistake???   This makes no sense to  me...   I'm I
missing something?

Bill Watson

In a message dated 3/21/2014 2:06:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,