Pheasant

From: bounce-113910404-11471...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-113910404-11471...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Thomas
Rhindress
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:57 PM
To: nysbirds-L@cornell.edu
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Feather ID and Spring yard birds in Yorktown Heights, NY

I'm in need of some assistance in IDing a feather. A friend sent me this photo
and asked what it was. My first couple of guesses seem to be way off given
habitat and a quick search of online bird images. I won't share my thoughts on
ID so as to not influence the masses or embarrass myself :)

Found in Ossining, NY (Westchester County) in friend's backyard. Yard
surrounded by woods, no water adjacent. Small woman's fingers for scale.
___

On a different note, my wife and I just returned from a short trip to view the
sandhill crane migration in central Nebraska. Highly recommended to any birder.
Seems that the spring bird activity has really increased while we were away. In
the last 24 hrs our yard in Yorktown Heights (northern Westchester County), the
backyard sightings include:  fox sparrows actively digging through leaves; a
lone woodcock living in the hedgerows; an immature yellow-bellied sapsucker
digging for insects in a maple; and a new "life" bird for the yard, an eastern
bluebird (very atypical habitat, even for a tired migrant).

Please reply directly to me with feather ID so as to not clog up NYSBIRDS

Thanks, Tom Rhindress
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives: