5/3/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) and Minerva (Essex Co.)

I visited Sabattis Circle Road and then hiked 5 miles round trip on the
Roosevelt Truck Trail.  There is still some snow and ice on the trail and in
the forest, plus the ground still feels frozen!  For the past several days,
I've been photographing and taking videos of a pair of Common Loons at the
Little Tupper Lake outlet.  I added a video of a loon consuming a huge fish
to my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian (Anthony
Collerton identified the fish as a Lake Trout already!).  The video shows
just the last minute - the loon wrestled with the fish for over 10 minutes.
The fish that I have observed the loons consuming have all been this large.
This is info that I also posted with the video:

If you are curious how loons accomplish this feat, here is a description
from the Common Loon account in the "Birds of North America" (BNA): "Grasps
prey between mandibles and manipulates it to swallow it headfirst.
Rearward-pointing, sharp denticles on roof of mouth and tongue assist
retention of prey by interdigitating with scales or carapace. Using tongue,
presses prey against roof of mouth while repeatedly retracting tongue in
conjunction with extensions of head and neck."  Something I have also
observed, that was not described in the BNA, is that shortly after the fish
tail disappears down the loon's throat, the loon pulls up into a position
where its throat and upper body are straight and briefly out of the water
with wings extended - this appears to assist in getting the fish down. Then,
the loon puts its head underwater. It is fascinating to watch!

Migrants continue to trickle in slowly: *Blue-headed Vireo (only 3) and
*Black-throated Green Warbler (only 1) were new today.

5/2/14 Massawepie Mire (St. Lawrence Co.)

David Buckley and I continued our tradition of sharing the harrowing drive
to Massawepie Mire before town spring road-work!  This year, David drove his
truck.  The road was very bumpy, rutted, and washed out in places, but there
was no deep mud to sink into if you took your foot off the gas!  It was cold
and we had some rain on our 6 mile round trip hike, but it was wonderful to
be there after a long winter.  We found 30 species.  *Lincoln's Sparrow
(only 1 singing) was the only new arrival.  The mire was filled with singing
Palm Warblers (we found a few Pine Warblers on the drive in and there were
also many Yellow-rumped Warblers).

5/1/14 Sabattis Circle Road

*Yellow-rumped Warbler (3) and *Pine Warbler were the new arrivals.  This is
a rather late arrival date for Pine Warbler - Bill Labes, Long Lake, has
been reporting a Pine Warbler at his bird feeders since sometime in April.
There were 2 Rusty Blackbirds vocalizing near Sabattis Bog from the Bog
Stream/Sperry Brook area, which would be likely breeding habitat.  (This
property is private and posted, so there is no way to hike to them.)

4/29/14 Sabattis Circle Road

*Osprey was new near the Bog Stream/Sperry Brook area near Sabattis Bog.  A
Wild Turkey was in full display with two females nearby at the bog - I took
a few videos.

4/28/14 Sabattis Circle Road

A large *Black Bear was walking down the road toward me at Sabattis Bog!  I
posted a few photos to my Facebook page (link above).  It didn't turn around
until it either saw or smelled me.  It looked very healthy!  As I was
photographing the Black Bear at 4:30 p.m., a Northern Saw-whet Owl began to
toot!

4/25/14 Long Lake

A Barred Owl vocalized at dawn outside our house.

4/22/14 Long Lake

*Brown-headed Cowbird - observed at a feeder in town.

4/21/14 Long Lake

*Swamp Sparrow at the outlet of Little Tupper Lake.  *Spring Peepers were
heard for the first time this year.

4/17/14 Long Lake

*Vesper Sparrow (1) and *Field Sparrow (2) migrants were found at the outlet
of Little Tupper Lake.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY