I saw one of the previously reported Least Bitterns at Ashamomaque Preserve
at about 8:15 this morning, about 10 minutes after I arrived at the viewing
tower. It flew across the marsh to the far side of the pond, provided a
brief scope view before clambering out of sight in the cattails, and a few
minutes later flew back in the direction it had come from, dropping out of
sight along the near border of the right side of the pond. I did not see it
again during the ca. 25 minutes I stayed afterward. A local bird
photographer who I met at the tower told me that the Least Bittterns are
being reported mostly in the evening.

Immediately before the tower, a short boardwalk makes a right-angle turn to
the left. Approaching the tower, I had here a point-blank view of a Virgina
Rail, almost too close to focus on.

The Preserve is on the west side of the short Chapel Lane, between Route 25
and Truck Route 25 (confluent with CR 48), west of Greenport. A sign on the
main trail directs you to the "observation blind", i.e., the tower.

I made a short visit to the Inlet Pond County Park, less than a mile to the
east, where singing White-eyed Vireos and American Redstarts were the
highlights.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook