Hi Everyone,

Following Sy Schiff's report yesterday, I was at the Coast Guard area
before sunrise to 6:30 this morning.  There are numerous amounts of
shorebirds all over the sandbar and surrounding shorelines - it was
actually overwhelming.

Today, most are Semi-Palmated Sandpipers - rest are Sanderlings, Short
Billed Dowitchers, Ruddy Turnstones  -all in great numbers.  Other species
included American Oystercatchers, Black Skimmers, Semi-Palmated Plover (1),
Spotted Sandpiper (1, summer resident), Common and Least Terns, Common
Loons (2, there were 4 a few days ago), one each of Black Crowned Night
Heron, Great Egret and Snowy Egret. I tried to find more uncommon types in
the mixed flock but did find any.  I did find a tagged Semi-Palmated
Sandpiper - blue tag with "UCH" on it.  It seemed to have a problem with
one of  it's legs.

Good birding, great to check out if you need a shorebird experience -
hopefully someone can spot a rarity in the mix,
Rob in Massapequa
http://longislandbirding.blogspot.com/