From: bounce-118156826-3714...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-118156826-3714...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of
pjlind...@optonline.net [pjlind...@optonline.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 10:08 AM
To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu
Subject: [nysbirds-l] BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK - Heckscher SP, East Islip, Suffolk
Co.

Seen around 8:35 AM from along the bike/exercise trail in the
southwest corner of the parking lot at Field 1. The call, lower and less
squeaky than Rose-breasted, reminiscent of a short Downy Woodpecker
note, got
my attention and I made a concerted effort to locate it. I had decent
views of
the bird for several minutes high in a tree, showing fine streaking on
the
sides of the buffy upper breast, and noted the dark upper mandible
though I did
not remember the significance of this field mark at the time. The bird
flew
across the bike trail towards the north and I lost sight of it behind
the
treetops; I did not see the underwings. Very late for work, I had to
abandon
the area. Shai Mitra is searching now.

I apologize for not posting sooner--a busy morning at work delayed me.

Patricia Lindsay
Bay Shore