I watched Lake Ontario from in front of the house this morning.  There was a
great steady flight of BONAPARTE'S GULLS.  One LITTLE GULL accompanied them.
Also, a good variety of ducks, including 11 SURF SCOTERS and 80 WHITE-WINGED
SCOTERS.  New for me this fall were 3 LONG-TAILED DUCKS and one RED-THROATED
LOON.  Also had a distant Parasitic/Pomarine Jaeger.

My eBird checklist is below.

Good birding!
Willie

Home, Niagara, US-NY
Oct 10, 2014 8:00 AM - 12:01 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     I watched the lake from Yolanda's.  Submitted from BirdLog NA for
iOS, version 1.5.1
26 species (+5 other taxa)

Canada Goose  39
American Black Duck  10
Mallard  15
Northern Pintail  33
Green-winged Teal  2
Greater Scaup  40
Greater/Lesser Scaup  53
Surf Scoter  11
White-winged Scoter  80
Long-tailed Duck  3     Flying east to west.  Distant but easily recognizable
by strong flight, small compact shape, pale whitish head, and pale rear end
behind all dark wings.
Red-breasted Merganser  41
duck sp.  46
Red-throated Loon  1
Common Loon  18
Horned Grebe  45
Red-necked Grebe  2
Double-crested Cormorant  59
shorebird sp.  8     A group of seven, perhaps Dunlin, and a single that may
have been a phalarope.  As usual, they were very distant and I could not
confidently stick a name to them.
Pomarine/Parasitic Jaeger  1     Appeared to be an adult due to blackish rather
than dark brownish plumage, and white belly.  This bird was very distant.  It
chased a gull briefly, providing a slightly better view.
Bonaparte's Gull  408     These birds went by in singles, a steady stream
throughout the watch and at all distances.
Little Gull  1     adult.
Ring-billed Gull  66
Herring Gull  32
gull sp.  30
Common Tern  8     2 singles and a group of six that first flew east, then
shortly came by again flying west.
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1