Hi Everyone,

I know it's not rare at all, but I saw a Greater Yellowlegs at Massapequa
Preserve this morning - noteworthy because long time residents of the area
have said that the preserve used to be a hotspot for them years ago - I
don't know what drove them away, but hopefully today's sighting is some
hope that they might return.  American Wigeons, Northern Shovelers, and a
Wood Duck were at the ponds north of Sunrise Highway.  I'm hoping the
Eurasian Wigeons that have frequented the preserve for the last several
winters will return - I'll check at least every few weeks.  Songbirds
(nothing uncommon) included Downy and Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Carolina
Wrens, Yellow Rumped Warbler, and White Breasted Nuthatches.

Good Fall birding,
Rob in Massapequa
http://longislandbirding.blogspot.com/