It was interesting to hear about the large movement at Floyd Bennet Field this
morning, and that the birds were heading west northwest, not south.  The radar
last night showed a very high bird density moving southeast, ending centered on
mid Long Island.  The density dissipated by 6 AM (1000 UTC) as the birds
descended.   I wonder if this mass of birds having been blown too far eastward,
might have hit the coastline and turned back west, veering up at sites of
favorable habitat along their way.

I saved the radar loop at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50403904@N03/14958138434/

Happy fall birding,