Great South Bay Audubon had a trip out east today, starting at Montauk Point.
Expected species were seen. More bonaparte's gulls and long-tailed ducks than
usual, many common eiders on the move, scoters (surf being most numerous),
gannet, loons and other expected species.

Gin Beach turned up 3 purple sandpipers found by Helga Merryman on the western
jetty and one great cormorant. No white winged gulls.

Star Island had a merlin and great blue heron. Ditch Plains and Napeague had
expected species but were overall quiet.

Hook Pond is frozen over except a small area, and no Tundra Swans were seen.

John Gluth and I then headed over towards Riverhead. Shorts Pond had 16 snow
geese among the Canadas and mallards. The Canada goose flock at Doctors Path
numbered approximately 2500, with a second flock closer to Northville Turnpike
of about 500. Within the larger flock were two greater white-fronted geese, one
snow goose and the highlight, one Ross's Goose, seen around 4pm and still there
when we left. One "frankengoose" was present in each flock. Pink-footed was not
seen by us in either flock and we looked closely, though the density of the
birds could have kept it from our view.  Two harriers were seen, including one
very pale gray ghost that gave good views.

Two short-eared owls and a late harrier put on a good show at EPCAL as sunset
approached.

Thanks,
Tim Dunn
Babylon, NY