There was a single Bohemian waxwing yesterday (Sunday 9 am) at the Sands Point
Preserve, in Northern Nassau County. ?The bird was mixed with 18 cedar waxwing
in a tree that is otherwise in a brushy area. ?The trail from which it was
observed is the one that is parallel to the bluff on the Eastern side the
preserve. ?The bird was observed approximately 150 yards NE of the Kettle pond.

It was identified as a Bohemian by the completely rufous undertail coverts.
?Only once I saw this feature could I confirm its slightly larger size and
redder face then the neighboring cedar waxwing. ?

The small flock of cedar waxwing was observed during both of my last two visits
to the preserve (then 20 and 15 birds), but there was no Bohemian waxing on
those days (December 20 and January 11).

Other areas to look for wintering cedar waxwing at Sands Point Preserved is the
brushy area between the Kettle pond and the beach; and the trees near the bee
hives (adjacent to the Museum parking lot).?

There is $10 fee per car for entrance to the preserve. ?Good luck if you go.

Stephane?