From: geneseebirds-l-boun...@geneseo.edu
[mailto:geneseebirds-l-boun...@geneseo.edu] On Behalf Of Bird observations
from western New York
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 12:26 PM
To: geneseebird...@geneseo.edu
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Wetland of importance...

Dear GeneseeBirds-L community.

Some of you may have seen Jess Hoelscher's letter in the Buffalo News
(pasted below) concerning a petition to have the Niagara River Corridor
designated as a wetland of international importance. On this Earth Day, I
encourage you to learn about the designation (http://www.ramsar.org/) and to
consider adding your name to this petition:
https://www.change.org/p/united-states-fish-wildlife-service-canadien-wildli
fe-service-nominate-the-niagara-river-corridor-for-a-ramsar-designation.

Thanks for considering. For those who care to read it, Jesse's
aforementioned letter is below. -Chris

Designate Niagara River as wetland of importance

Western New York has access to 25 percent of the world's fresh water. One of
our most important resources, the Niagara River Corridor, supports 338
species of birds, 102 species of fish, 35 species of mammals and 734 species
of plants. It links the Great Lakes Erie and Ontario, and supports local
economies of tourism, manufacturing, technology and green energy, among
others. The corridor is important to our recreation, waste processing, power
generation, trans-shipment and drinking water.

So how do you, a local citizen eager to celebrate Earth Day, honor such an
important body of water in a productive way? By showing your support for
nominating the Niagara River Corridor as a Wetland of International
Importance, otherwise known as a Ramsar site. Signed in 1971 (the year after
Earth Day began), the Ramsar Convention is an intergovernmental treaty for
the conservation of wetlands. Such a designation not only increases funding,
attention and research to the area, but also marks international cooperation
and progression toward sustainable development.

Groups from the United States and Canada have been working hard to designate
the Niagara River Corridor as the newest wetland of international
importance. When designated, this will be the first transboundary (i.e.:
including two countries) Ramsar site in North America. Chances are, you want
to support your local environment, but might not have the time or resources
to do so. What you can easily do is search online for "SUNY Buffalo Ramsar
Niagara," navigate our page and click "Show Your Support." It's easy, takes
little time and allows you to voice your opinion that our water matters.

Benjamin Franklin said, "When the well's dry, we know the worth of water."
Let's take him for his word and work together to ensure our well never runs
dry.

Jesse Hoelscher

East Aurora

--