2015 Great South Channel trip - August 9-11, 2015.  Same price as last year.
Reservations are required and can be made as of at
http://www.cresli.org/cresli/reservations/offshore_res.html.

The Coastal Research and Education Society of Long Island is a non-profit
research and education organization.  Our mission is:  "To promote and
foster understanding and stewardship of coastal ecosystems through research
and education."  Part of our work is to observe and document the whale and
sea bird populations of NY and New England and to take people to see these
animals in the wild.  Since 2002 we have been offering incredible and
successful multi-day offshore pelagic bird and whale observation trips.

Our trips have been 100% successful and we have encountered thousands of
pelagic birds over the years.  We've also encountered fin, minke, sei, and
right whales; common, white-sided, dolphins, pilot whales.

We have now had 873 humpback encounters in our trips to the Great South
Channel, Stellwagen Bank, and locally. With the assistance of the Gulf of
Maine Humpback group, the Center for Coastal Studies, Allied Whale, and the
FlukeMatcher groups on Flickr and Facebook we have, photo-identified 354
different whales during these trips.

We are planning one trip to the Great South Chanel in August 10-12, 2014 (51
hours).   The vessel is the 140' Viking Starship that can sleep up to 65
passengers in navy style bunks. Excellent food will be available at
reasonable prices. Passengers may bring their own food as well. The trips
will be led by a seasoned marine mammal biologist and professor. Volunteers
from CRESLI will assist in photo-identification spotting and data
collection.

(1)    Our August trip will leave at 6:30 PM on August 9, 2015 and head to
Martha's Vineyard (MV) to pick up (and drop off) passengers.  We expect to
arrive at Oak Bluffs in Martha's Vineyard at approximately 12:30 AM on 8/10;
we leave MV at 1:00 AM and proceed to the GSC.  We should reach the whale
grounds around day break, spend the next 24 hours amongst the whales and
birds of the GSC.  The following morning, we will have the option of either
remaining on the whale grounds, o, if the weather is poor, returning early
to Martha's Vineyard for land-based birding, hiking, or other activities.
The vessel will ultimately depart Martha's Vineyard at 4:30 PM on 8/11 and
return to Montauk at 10:30 PM on 8/11/15.

1.       Cost = $275 for CRESLI members; $300 for non-members

2.       Children  6 - 12 are half price

3.       Under 6 are free

We at CRESLI hope that you will join us on our trips.  Remember that members
do get discounted fares. Go to
http://www.cresli.org/cresli/GSC_offshore.html  for info and reservation
links. Reservations can be made  at
http://www.cresli.org/cresli/reservations/offshore_res.html

Expectations:

*         Cetaceans: Humpback, Fin, Minke, Right; Sei, and Pilot whales;
Common, Bottlenose, Atlantic White Sided and Risso's Dolphins; Leatherback,
Green and Loggerhead Turtles; Basking, Great White, Hammerhead, and Blue
Sharks; Bluefin, Yellowfin, and Bigeye Tuna; White Marlin; Ocean Sunfish;
Portuguese Man-of-War; and other marine life.

Birds: Cory's, Greater, Sooty, Manx, and Audubon's Shearwaters; Wilson's and
Leach's Storm-Petrels; Northern Fulmar; Northern Gannet; Red-necked and Red
Phalaropes; Pomarine, and Parasitic Jaegers; South Polar Skua; Greater
Black-backed, Herring, Bonaparte's Gulls.

Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph. D.

kopel...@optonline.net <mailto:kopel...@optonline.net>
( e-mails scanned for viruses before sending)

"When the last individual of a race of living thing breathes no more,

another heaven and another earth

must pass before such a one can be again" ......  William Beebee

P Be kind to the environment - unless you need to, please don't print this
e-mail