From: Shaibal Mitra
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:27 AM
To: nysbirds-l
Subject: Info re Jamaica Bay Bar-tailed Godwit

Yesterday afternoon's low tide was exceptionally low, exposing flats at Jamaica
Bay that we had never seen before in many years of birding the area. It was
partly this unusual circumstance that prompted us to visit the breach at what
used to be the West Pond, an area that has not been particularly productive for
birds since Sandy, to take photos of the odd mudscape to the south.

We found the godwit feeding and resting with other shorebirds on the expansive
flats south of the breach, on surfaces that are ordinarily not exposed during
normal low tides (south and east of Terrapin Pt.). As the tide began to rise
(but before locally available habitat was completely submerged), it flew off to
the south with other birds and landed on the marsh islands to the south. It
remained there, feeding and briefly resting, for only a short time before
flying purposefully eastward and out of sight with other shorebirds.

If it is still in the area, the best approach to finding it would be to search
potential roosting sites at high tide and any visible mudflats at lower tides.

This European Bar-tailed Godwit (nominate race lapponica) is small and markedly
short-legged and very drab-looking overall.  Its upper parts are grayish brown
with darker feather centers, browner and more contrasting than in similarly
plumaged HUGO--a trait I recalled from the only prior Barwit I've seen on Long
Island, found by Ken & Sue Feustal at Mecox Bay in May 2004. Glimpses of the
white upper rump while the bird preened nailed the ID and confirmed the
subspecies as European lapponica (Siberian baueri has also occurred on the East
Coast).

Several of the people we had been birding with earlier at Forest Park were able
to get there before it flew and to enjoy flight views of the finely barred
tail, pale underwings, white lower back, etc. All of my photos are marginal,
but I think Tom Burke and Gail Benson might have done a little better. I'll try
to post something to my Picasa site at some point.

Shai Mitra & Patricia Lindsay
Bay Shore