To elaborate a bit on the timeline this morning, with numbers of birders at
Plum Beach laying in wait, Rob Jett and I started checking other locations
north of the beach which typically hold numbers of Laughing Gulls. This was
roughly 10:30am.
We checked Marine Park and Floyd Bennett Field without much success. In
fact, there seemed to be no gulls around of any kind.
We decided to head to Plum and begin at the western end near Sheepshead
Bay. It was from this vantage we initially spotted the Franklin's Gull in
flight about mid way to the eastern end of the beach and roughly 200 yards
out. This was roughly at 11:30am.
In flight the bird was easy to pick out. The smaller wings and rounder
wingtips showed so little black in the tips gave the bird a very stiff
winged fluttery look compared to the nearby Laughing Gulls. At rest on the
water, the amount of white in the wingtips and tertial crescent were easily
seen as were the bold eye arcs and the small bill and size compared to
Laughing Gulls in the same scope view. Also of note was how high the white
on the back of the neck extends up towards the head on the Franklin's. The
dark cap seemed even smaller in life that the field guides display and
certainly was a noticeable difference between the two species side by side.
After making calls to the group of birders down the beach we decided to
move closer and it was after this next move the bird departed unseen. An
hour vigil proved fruitless, but birds were shuffling and turning over at
all times. Some flying west out towards Coney Island and Breezy Point and
some flying north over the Belt Parkway.
The bird came in and departed unnoticed within a matter of 10 minutes so
the more eyes looking the merrier. Good luck if you go and a big thank you
to Deborah Allen for making the discovery and getting the word out quickly.

Cheers,

Sean Sime
Brooklyn, NY