All

I just received the following response from Dave Taft at NPS regarding the East Pond.

Arie Gilbert
President - Queens County Bird Club, Inc
http://www.qcbirdclub.org

Dear Mr. Gilbert -

Thank you for writing regarding your concern for the high water levels at the East Pond of the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.

We have also noted these higher water levels and are working to address the problem.

The pond levels are measured by a gauge at the north end of the pond. Currently there seems to be a discrepancy between the gauge numbers and the resulting mudflats. Similar numbers in past years would have resulted in fair sized mudflats – in fact, this year’s readings place the pond level lower than three of the past five years. We can see this is not the case.

The park is working on long term and short term solutions. Most immediately, the entrance to the pond valve has been cleared, and the outflow valve manually expanded. Obstructions have been cleared, and significant amounts of debris have been removed. This has improved water flow significantly. We are monitoring water levels daily and we hope to have reached suitable water levels in the next few weeks, in time for a significant part of the shorebird season, and in time for the shorebird festival on August 29.

The park is also addressing more long term solutions to this issue and we hope to incorporate your expertise. We will be in touch regarding potential assistance.

The park recognizes the significance of the East Pond for shorebird migration, as well as its significant history providing naturalists and birdwatchers a truly unique experience worthy of the National Park Service in New York City.

We will provide follow up when further information is available.

Sincerely,

Dave Taft

Coordinator, Jamaica Bay

Gateway National Recreation Area