In addition to the sticking of PVC pipes to open the flap on the bayside,
thus allowing more drainage. This morning, I came across heavy duty work on
the North End East Side of the East Pond--the entrance is taped off as NPS
has engaged in some engineer work.  A hole has been dug just behind the
water control gate on the path, deep enough to reach the pipe that goes
under the north berm. I suspect this is the area that has been deemed
problematic either due to leakage/collapsed or clogged pipe. My guess, is
that they will try to repair this section of the pipe.

I was surprised to see this being attempted now but I suppose folks have
realized how dire the situation is and are trying to correct the problem.
You have to give NPS credit for trying. I cannot thank enough all of you
who took the time to call or write. Let's hope this fix works.  Your
efforts paid off in getting action and I hope that the result is a long
term solution in place that will enable proper drainage of the pond.

Earlier, I did a shorebird survey at Breezy Point where I had 10 species of
shorebirds highlighted by 4 Whimbrels and a fresh looking juvenile Spotted
Sandpiper. A brief seawatching was non productive.

Cheers,

--
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest