I spent the morning shore birding at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, my first trip
there this year. Birding was somewhat disappointing - I could only muster ten
species of shorebirds. However, it was good to see the American Avocet at the
north end of the East Pond as well as good numbers of Semipalmated and Least
Sandpipers. I would like to extend kudos to Andrew Baksh for all his efforts to
ensure that the water levels in the East Pond were dropped sufficiently to
salvage a part of the shorebird season. It is unlikely we would have mud flats
on the East Pond this summer without Andrew’s lobbying (nagging?) efforts. On a
negative note I was alarmed at the amount of Purple Loosestrife (an invasive)
that has invaded the East Pond and environs. While I cannot deny it is pretty
to look at, it can take over freshwater habitats. I do not remember ever seeing
so much of it at the Refuge. Some thirty years ago we made the mistake of
planting it in our yard, and despite a yearly pulling program a small amount
appears every summer. In regard to access on the pond, it is good. I walked the
entire east side (with boots), hugging the phragmites only at a few muddy
locations.

Good birding,

Ken Feustel