10/6/15 Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

I found 3 Common Grackles at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake along Sabattis
Circle Road early this morning on my way to Sabattis Bog.  After visiting
the bog, I drove by the inlet area again and there was a flock of at least
50 Rusty Blackbirds!  It was nice to meet Pat Condello, a birder from
Syracuse, who arrived as I was watching the Rusty Blackbirds.  We observed
the Rusty Blackbirds for a long time.  (Photos of the Rusty Blackbirds and
one of the Common Grackles are on my Facebook page.)  Here are some of the
28 species found along Sabattis Circle Road this morning:

Belted Kingfisher

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Blue-headed Vireo - many

Blue Jay - many

Common Raven

Red-breasted Nuthatch - many

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Amer. Robin

Gray Catbird - quite vocal

Blackpoll Warbler

Pine Warbler - singing

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Savannah Sparrow - 2

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow - singing

White-throated Sparrow - singing

White-crowned Sparrow - 2

Rusty Blackbird - 50 at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake!  It was great to
hear their voices!

Common Grackle - 3 at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake

Purple Finch

Amer. Goldfinch

Pat found two Porcupines along Sabattis Circle Road before we met - and one
was vocalizing!  (Sept. - Oct. is mating season for porcupines!)

10/5/15 Newcomb - Minerva along Route 28N (Essex Co.)

Midday, I drove to Minerva to look for Red Crossbills (and also check on a
snowmobile trail being cut through beautiful boreal habitat - from Newcomb
through Minerva to North Hudson).  I found 3 Red Crossbills along the
railroad bed.  Then, a pickup truck driving the rails, stopped to ask what I
was doing.  After we talked for a minute about birds, they politely asked me
to leave - the railroad bed is now off-limits to hikers, skiers,
rail-bikers, and snowmobilers since it is becoming an active rail-bed again.
According to the men, the trains were supposed to start running today, which
I find hard to believe since the rails don't appear ready.  So the lovely
wetlands along the railroad bed (in both directions) can no longer be
accessed.  And the wildlife will have to deal with loud trains going
through.

I hiked the first part of the Roosevelt Truck Trail from the southern
trailhead on Route 28N to see where they cut the new snowmobile trail.  (At
the new cut area, I found a nasty message left by a hunter for the tree
cutters which included swearing!!!  So birders are not the only group upset
about the habitat destruction.)  I also found 6 Boreal Chickadees - in two
flocks of at least 3 each.  After I got back to my car, I drove up the hill
a bit to listen for Black-backed Woodpeckers, and immediately heard Red
Crossbills!  A family group of 5 Red Crossbills was perched high in the
trees above me and then flew across the road.  I scoped a female with two
fledglings!  The fledglings flew to another tree out of sight before I could
photograph them.  I did get photos of the female.

I stopped at a marsh in Newcomb on my way back to listen for Black-backed
Woodpeckers - one was calling along with lots of other birds, including two
Boreal Chickadees - and then a male Amer. Kestrel flew out of the forest
explaining the ruckus!  I photographed the kestrel.  I had nice views of the
Boreal Chickadees, but they were too quick for me to photograph!

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home