Spent almost exactly 10 hours at Jones Beach West End today, beginning just
before sunrise. The favorable conditions and strong winds resulted in a lot
of movement. The birders who were out on this brisk fall day definitely
reaped the rewards. Two Red-headed Woodpeckers were observed, an adult male
and a younger bird. The adult was seen all over the area, at the median,
the Coast Guard, and the police station. I heard the bird IDed by others as
a youngster while watching the adult. Yellow-breasted Chat was a welcome
surprise at the Coast Guard hedgerow. Though characteristically skulky, it
showed beautifully at least half-a-dozen times throughout the day. Sparrows
were out in force. I saw Lark Sparrows at the outer turnaround and the
Coast Guard, and other birders confirmed they were being seen near
simultaneously. Vesper, White-crowned, Field, Swamp, Savannah, Chipping,
White-throated, Song, juncos, and towhees were also seen. Raptor movement
was good, mostly Merlins and the accipiters but also including Osprey,
harrier, and kestrel. The biggest flights today were Tree Swallow,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Northern Flicker. Other notes: Palm, Pine, and
Black-throated Blue Warblers, Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, Baltimore
Oriole, both kinglets, Royal Terns, and a decent spread of other species
adding up to 70 total. Individual numbers and overall diversity were some
of the best I've seen this season. Favorable winds are forecast to
continue, so tomorrow could be interesting as well.

Cheers!
-Tim H