There were only modest densities of birds on radar last night over NYC and Long
Island, but the range was broad and the velocities were low, suggesting that
flyover and continuing morning migration might be reduced. To get a sampling of
birds reaching northern LI I visited the dump area of Sunken Meadow park
northwest of Field 2.  There was a surprising amount of activity, with lots of
yellow rumps, song and white throated sparrows, along with swamp sparrows,
juncos, carolina wren, goldfinch and a couple flocks of house finch.  The most
numerous bird, however, was cedar waxwing.  There must have been a couple
hundred birds populating just about every tree along the western edge of the
lot.  Notable were a pair of bookends; my FOS purple finch, and what will
undoubtedly be my LOS red-eyed vireo.

Happy end of fall birding,

Peter